Teens arrested after brawl turns ugly

Teens arrested after brawl turns ugly

'Ongoing issues' through night leads to charges.

Three Narrabri males, including a 13-year-old boy, were arrested in the early hours of Saturday morning after allegedly arming themselves and going to a local house looking for someone they had been arguing with hours earlier.

Inspector Robert Dunn said there had been "ongoing issues" through Friday night with a street fight and cars damaged.

The trio then went to a Park Crescent house and allegedly forced entry after throwing rocks through a window.

Thursday, December 17, 2015/Author: Kate Schwager/Number of views (0)/Comments (0)/ Article rating: No rating
Categories: Narrabri
Tags:
Narrabri CBD median strip rejected by councillors

Narrabri CBD median strip rejected by councillors

But what will become of the CBD masterplan?

Narrabri Shire councillors have narrowly rejected a median strip with trees and lights on Maitland Street.

But just what will finally happen in the main street is no clearer after councillors did not vote on any of the other options. - a median strip with lights only, footpath lighting and an extension of the footpath and footpath lighting.

They voted 6-5 on Tuesday night not to adopt a recommendation by council officers that Option Three - a 2m median between Bowen and Lloyd Streets containing both lighting and trees - be chosen.

That option would have cost $1.3 million. The council has $1.437 million available.

Before deciding councillors heard arguments by residents and business owners for and against the median strip option.

Thursday, December 17, 2015/Author: Kate Schwager/Number of views (0)/Comments (0)/ Article rating: No rating
Categories: Narrabri
Tags:
Narrabri paramedic has a 'heart of gold'

Narrabri paramedic has a 'heart of gold'

Liam McDermott awarded for a life-saving mission last year.

Narrabri paramedic Liam McDermott was honoured with a bravery award during a special ceremony in Sydney in October.

He was one of several that were bestowed with a Victor Chang Bravery Award, after his life-saving efforts last year.

Mr McDermott, who was working at Randwick Ambulance Station at the time, was first called to the scene with his partner Richard Torrens, when a young male, Scott Winn, went into cardiac arrest.

“It was around 10pm at night on a busy Oxford Street outside a convenience store in the city,” recalled Mr McDermott.

Thursday, December 17, 2015/Author: Kate Schwager/Number of views (0)/Comments (0)/ Article rating: No rating
Categories: Narrabri
Tags:
Police investigate armed robbery at Narrabri

Police investigate armed robbery at Narrabri

Police are appealing for witnesses after a man was robbed at knifepoint in Narrabri yesterday morning.

About 9.45am yesterday (December 16), a 25-year-old man was walking on Violet Street, when he was approached by a man.

Officers have been told the man threatened him with a knife and demanded his wallet.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015/Author: Kate Schwager/Number of views (3770)/Comments (0)/ Article rating: No rating
Tags:
Healthwise New England North West and Royal Far West

Healthwise New England North West and Royal Far West

Healthy Kids Bus Stop - Wee Waa

Healthwise New England North West was so thrilled to be part of this fantastic initative at the start of the month. Over 72 children showed up to the Healthy Kids Bus Stop in Wee Waa, New South Wales.

Over 54 Children were identified for referrals to local and specialised health services. Well done to everyone involved!

Our Healthy Kids Bus Stop team are making their final visit for 2015 this week in the town of Wee Waa. A huge thanks to all of our supporters who have helped make this visit possible. A special mention to the Hunter New England Local Health District, Healthwise, Auscott, Ronald McDonald House Charities and Wee Waa Public Schoo

Tuesday, December 15, 2015/Author: Kate Schwager/Number of views (1652)/Comments (0)/ Article rating: No rating
Tags:
Wee Waa Chamber of Commerce - Mardi Gras

Wee Waa Chamber of Commerce - Mardi Gras

Held Thursday the 10th December

Great evening was held with lots of stalls and chocolate wheel.  Great support for this community event.  Wee Waa Chamber of Commerce do a great job to organise this event.  Thank you to all the shop fronts and stallholders, Lions club, Max Fm, Face painters, Rotary club,the fishing club, grins and giggles photo booth and Santa! You make this night such a success. 
And congratulations to the winners of the shopper dollars! 
$1000 Winner - Kay Wood
$500 Winner - Katlin Manton
$250 Winner - Kathy Allwell

 

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and Happy New year.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015/Author: Kate Schwager/Number of views (1315)/Comments (0)/ Article rating: No rating
Tags:
THE ECONOMIC CONTRIBUTION OF REGIONS TO AUSTRALIA’S PROSPERITY

THE ECONOMIC CONTRIBUTION OF REGIONS TO AUSTRALIA’S PROSPERITY

Australia’s economic performance of the last 20 years has been unlike anywhere else in the world. This remarkable story has generally been told in terms of industries: the mining boom, the fate of manufacturing in Australia and now, the role of construction and infrastructure investment for our future.

This is an important part of the story – but it is not all.

A spatial perspective reveals many hidden insights about our economy, and its future potential. Far from being a drag on national prosperity as is commonly assumed, regions outside our major cities are an important source of Australia’s economic growth.

Our regions’ workforce accounts for one third of employment in Australia, and regional Australia is at the forefront of output per worker in over a third of industries. Most remarkably, since 2001, regional Australia has gained ground on metro areas in productivity terms in every industry except mining.

The importance of regional Australia to the national economy means that realising the potential of our regions remains critical to securing future prosperity for all Australians. Understanding the scale of this opportunity will be critical for getting things right for Australia as a whole.

click heading to read the full report

Tuesday, December 15, 2015/Author: Kate Schwager/Number of views (0)/Comments (0)/ Article rating: No rating
Tags:
No bluffing over Pilliga blockade

No bluffing over Pilliga blockade

The Land Newspaper

FARMERS near the Pilliga Forest are gambling on having their voices heard after they blockaded a CSG wastewater plant with a six-tonne hay bale wall in protest action yesterday.

About 50 farmers, their families and supporters blockaded the access road for Santos’ Leewood CSG wastewater treatment facility near the Pilliga forest with nearly six tonnes of hay bales formed into a six-foot high wall. 

The farmers played poker atop the hay wall and beneath them was a banner stating “Santos: Stop Gambling with our Farming Future”. 

The blockade stopped construction of Phase 2 of the Leewood project yesterday. 

“We simply cannot accept this game of Russian roulette Santos is playing with our groundwater,” said Coonamble farmer Josh Borowski.

“Coal seam gas jeopardises our future as farmers on the land and we are determined to stop Santos and protect our sustainable farming livelihoods. 

“We are utterly opposed to the Santos Narrabri Gas Project proposal in the Pilliga forest.” 

Mr Borowski’s wife, Stephanie, attended the protest with their one-year-old baby and said they could not stand by while the “toxic industry” polluted their environment and contaminated their groundwater.

“We utterly rely on groundwater on our farm – a risk to groundwater is a risk to our future,” she said.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015/Author: Kate Schwager/Number of views (0)/Comments (0)/ Article rating: No rating
Tags:
Police break up CSG blockade

Police break up CSG blockade

By Jamieson Murphy Northern Daily Laeader

ANTI-coal seam gas activists have continued to disrupt Santos activities in the Pilliga forest, staging small protests throughout the week, including a 22-hour blockade of the company’s pilot gas wells that had to be broken up by police.

At 9am on Tuesday, police were called to end the overnight standoff, which started at 10am on Monday.

Santos said the group of eight protesters restricted access at two separate sites where the company was undertaking routine pump maintenance, delaying work for about three to four hours.

“Three of the protesters slept at the site overnight, with another five protesters joining in the morning. When the police arrived, the protesters left the site without incident,” Santos general manager of energy NSW Peter Mitchley said.

Click the heading for the full story

Thursday, December 10, 2015/Author: Kate Schwager/Number of views (0)/Comments (0)/ Article rating: No rating
Tags:
PARK CLOSURE NOTICE

PARK CLOSURE NOTICE

To all public due to Severe Fire Weather Conditions

All Walking tracks & Visitor Areas wihtin the Pilliga Forest have been closed today (Sandstone Caves, Salt Caves and 'Sculptures in the Scrub')

Issued for:  Friday 11th December 2015

Valid until:  Further Notiece

 

For more information please contact:

Baradine Area Office on Ph: (02) 6843 4000

(02) 6843 1370  (emergency AH) or 

The Pilliga Forest Discovery Centre Ph: (02) 6843 4011

Thank you - NPWS Area Manager Baradine

 

Thursday, December 10, 2015/Author: Kate Schwager/Number of views (1295)/Comments (0)/ Article rating: No rating
Tags:
Narrabri main street decision gets closer

Narrabri main street decision gets closer

Councillors to consider a report by general manager Stewart Todd on Tuesday.

Options for the future development of Narrabri’s main street, part of the Narrabri CBD Masterplan, will be on the table at Tuesday’s Narrabri Shire Council meeting.

Narrabri Shire Council general manager Stewart Todd confirmed he would present a report to the meeting.

The council is exploring three options for the upgrade of street lighting in the three business blocks.

The options include the installation of lights on the footpaths, lights in the centre of the three blocks and lights interspersed with shade trees in a two metre median strip.

The proposed lighting upgrade has been a contentious issue for many in the community.


Read the full story in today Courier or click the heading to subscribe.

Wednesday, December 09, 2015/Author: Kate Schwager/Number of views (0)/Comments (0)/ Article rating: No rating
Categories: Narrabri
Tags:
4G coming to Narrabri as tower worked on

4G coming to Narrabri as tower worked on

Telstra team gets to work in Narrabri CBD.

A team of expert aerialists has been at work atop Narrabri’s 50 metre Telstra tower this week to bring improved 4G data and voice communication to Narrabri district customers.

The major expansion of the 4G network is part of upgrades across country NSW, one of the largest and most complex changes to voice calling in the network for more than 40 years.

On Wednesday a giant crane set up next to the tower and work got underway, with the technical team pulling on safety harnesses and climbing to the top of the tower.

The climb and the height would probably unnerve most, but it was routine work for the crew.


Read the rest of the story in today's Courier or click the heading to subscribe.

Wednesday, December 09, 2015/Author: Kate Schwager/Number of views (0)/Comments (0)/ Article rating: No rating
Tags:
Mystery deepens over missing father

Mystery deepens over missing father

Goondiwindi Argus

THE search for a missing Goondiwindi man in the Pilliga south of Narrabri re-commences today (Wednesday, December 9).

The NSW State Emergency Service and other volunteers had a rest day yesterday after searching thick scrub for the 51 year-old since Wednesday.

They will be joined by Police with sniffer dogs from Sydney tomorrow.

Concern for the father and grandfather, Terry  Lloyd, grew after his car was found abandoned in the Pilliga Forest.

Terry is a familiar face to many in Goondiwindi.

A former local with many family ties, he also worked  for Care Goondiwindi’s Medico Run before it ceased due to lack of funding, and is a man known for his kindness.  

Wednesday, December 09, 2015/Author: Kate Schwager/Number of views (0)/Comments (0)/ Article rating: No rating
Tags:
High Alert - Scammers using local Addresses for Wee Waa and Narrabri

High Alert - Scammers using local Addresses for Wee Waa and Narrabri

This morning we were contacted by a person from another area of the state to say that a person calling himself Williams Alfred wanted to purchase a car that they had not seen and needed her paypal details to do so.  

The Internet coming up to Christmas is a high time for scammers to be active.  This person advertised on Gumtree.  This has happened before with a fictitious advertisement for a job in the area which people fell for and paid money.  This is a serious way to get money and take identity from people.  This guy has even give a drivers license number although it has no letter on the end a sure sign that it is fake.  Below is the email the person received.  Please be alert and aware coming up to Christmas for these online scammers, mostly from overseas. 

 

Hello,Williams Alfred ..My address is 69 Boolcarrol Rd wee waa nsw 2388,My license no is 12944704..With the issue of my details,transferring the name of ownership and signing of all paperwork will be done by the pick up agent so you don't have to worry about that.,as soon as you send me your PayPal email i will make the payment and you will be notify in your email that the payment have been made.Very easy.For example my PayPal email is williamsalfred7@outlook.com Send me your PayPal email now so i can pay in

Wednesday, December 09, 2015/Author: Kate Schwager/Number of views (1600)/Comments (0)/ Article rating: 2.0
Tags:
Protesters tell Santos to hit the pause button

Protesters tell Santos to hit the pause button

ANTI-coal seam gas activists have followed up on their promise to continue disrupting Santos activities in the Pilliga forest by staging a road blockade at the gates of the energy company’s Leewood wastewater treatment yesterday morning.

About 20 people prevented contractors from entering the site for two and a half hours.

Construction started at the site last week, despite the facility being at the centre of a court battle over the legality of its approval.

Wilalla farmer Alistair Donaldson took part in the protest and said he was “deeply concerned” construction was under way before the outcomes of the court case were determined. “If I was in court about the legality of the development application for my house, do you think I’d be allowed to keep building before the case was determined?” Mr Donaldson said.

“If the court finds that Leewood has not been properly assessed, Santos will have to go back to the drawing board in the assessment process and all the work currently under way will have been completed without  valid approval.

“There’s double standards at play here and Santos should be required to press pause at least until it’s clear its approval is legal.”

Santos general manager of energy NSW, Peter Mitchley, said the protest activity at Leewood had no impact on Santos operations and the company had all approvals in place to undertake the work.

“The Leewood Phase 2 Project was approved following a rigorous and detailed assessment process which was carried out in accordance with the relevant regulatory guidelines.



Tuesday, December 08, 2015/Author: Kate Schwager/Number of views (0)/Comments (0)/ Article rating: No rating
Tags:
RSS
First234567891011Last


A Ligante web production. Brought to you by KateS on Web.

Copyright © KateSonWeb 2013. All Rights Reserved.