Wee Waa Website Servicing the Community Since 1998

Local News

Assault on environment by gas fracking multinationals escalates

Michael West Media by Callum Foote | Jun 5, 2020 | Energy, Featured

Kate Schwager 0 0 Article rating: No rating

Multinational corporations have captured the national polity and continue to push last-century energy solutions on Australia, in defiance of sound policy and due process. The US fracking industry has collapsed. Yet the Covid Commission forges ahead with coal seam gas plans for Santos at Narrabri. Callum Footereports.

As if a tradie-led recovery wasn’t bizarre enough, the COVID Commission and Liberals and Nationals in NSW are forging ahead with plans to open up Narrabri for coal seam gas fracking.

This is despite:

  • warnings only a day ago that the global glut could force natural gas prices into negative;
  • the science telling us clearly that for the sake of the planet we need to move on from fossil fuels, especially given that renewable energy can compete on cost with oil, coal and natural gas-fired power plants;
  • figures showing that fugitive emissions from natural gas production are driving massive increases in greenhouse gas; and
  • the fact that domestic gas users are massively price gouged because the East Coast gas market is controlled by a cartel of three producers, Santos, Origin Energy and Exxon/BHP, who starve the domestic market to force up prices and make super profits  Meanwhile overseas buyers of Australian gas pay far less than the domestic buyers do.

GOVERNMENT VOTES AGAINST BETTER PROTECTION FOR VITAL GROUNDWATER

Roy Butler - Press Release

Kate Schwager 0 921 Article rating: 5.0

The Member for Barwon, Roy Butler today carried the historic Coal Seam Gas Moratorium Bill in the NSW Parliament’s Legislative Assembly.

“Much will be made of me carrying the CSG Moratorium Bill, but it should not surprise to people that I have followed through on my commitment to not support any extractive industry that puts water, our most precious resource at risk,” said Mr Butler. 

“I committed to do it through the campaign, and I kept my word.

Police charge woman over business fraud at Oxley

Mirage News

Kate Schwager 0 0 Article rating: No rating

A woman will face court next month charged with fraud in the state’s north east.

Last month, officers from Oxley Police District commenced an investigation following reports two machinery businesses were defrauded.

Following extensive inquiries, Oxley detectives attended a home on Yarrie Lake Road, Narrabri, about 1pm last Friday (29 May 2020).

Officers located and seized three pieces of excavator equipment worth an estimated value of $50,000.

A 32-year-old woman was arrested and taken to Narrabri Police Station where she was charged with three counts of dishonestly obtain financial advantage by deception.

Police will allege in court that the woman provided false documentation to hire machinery between March and May 2020.

120 years of wheat varieties planted to track industry's evolution

ABC News

Kate Schwager 0 0 Article rating: No rating

Wheat researchers are going back in time to produce a visual display of just how far the industry has come and to examine what work remains to improve crop productivity.

Seeds from 15 wheat varieties dating back to 1901 have been sown, and by the end of the year will paint a picture of the changes made over the past 120 years.

It is part of the University of Sydney's 60-year celebrations of its Plant Breeding Institute at Narrabri in north-west New South Wales which has been responsible for continually improving wheat lines.

"Farmers always have a favourite, or not-so-favourite, variety," said the university's director of northern agriculture, Guy Roth.

Regional Development Australia Northern Inland

Newsletter

Kate Schwager 0 0 Article rating: No rating

Dear Northern Inlanders,

As our region continues to face unprecedented times, the resilience of our communities continues to shine. As our communities start to reopen with decreased restrictions, it is now time to work together to rebuild from the devastation of not only COVID-19, but also the bushfires and the ongoing drought. While the Australian Government’s support programs have helped us through these times, I am looking forward to hearing further details of the JobMaker program when they become available so we can work towards a stronger economy for our region together.

The results of our Impacts of COVID-19 on Businesses survey are in, and the impact has been significant. Almost half of our businesses have had a downturn of 50% or more of their income, and 67% do not have enough income to cover their operating costs. We are continuing to work closely with the Australian Government to provide feedback about the experiences of businesses in our region during the shutdown and during the recovery period, which will take years of hard work.

RSS
123468910Last

News Search